Friday, January 22, 2010

Sleep Madness

So I woke up a little early this morning, and the first thing that crossed my mind was about the Avatar movie. Now, I freakin' loved that movie, but that does not excuse that level of geekery. It has completely taken over my morning.

I think that if I were the mining corporation and had access to all that nifty space stuff and a bunch of locals were causing me untold amounts of trouble... I would leave as promised and come back thirteen years later with an orbital weapon.

Hell, you wouldn't even need to leave. Grab a sufficiently dense piece of rock and drop it from low orbit and watch your strip mining operation get a whole lot easier! (though I guess that would depend on whether or not your metal would "splash" when you crater'd the site) Now, since Pandora orbits a gas giant, it's pretty likely that there's some kind of debris ring as well, which would make it especially perfect for Evil Mining Company to homebrew a Tunguska (or Vredefort, Chesapeake Bay, Popigai... choose your own impact event), since the debris could even supply plausible deniability for the perverse whims of corporate profits!

You know, Stark, I don't think Science works the way you think it works.

All I know for sure is that I have spent WAY too much time on Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Hit Counter